Learning to read as an adult is a life changing event. One client, who came to us as a non reader, told us excitedly he was able to read the street signs now and had ordered his first meal from a restaurant menu. It's a privilege to act as a guide and support person for adults in our community who want to read and write better and you can do this wonderful work at Literacy Now Cowichan.
Position Summary: Tutor an adult learner in reading, writing
Supervisor: Volunteer Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Tutor a learner once or twice a week for 1 hour per session
• Help the learner to set short and long term goals and plan a learning program based on the goals
• Find and prepare teaching materials appropriate to the learner’s ability, goals and interests
• Maintain a positive, learner-centered environment
• Review work and assignments with the learner
• Keep written records of the learner’s progress
• After initial training, attend ongoing training
• Discuss the learner’s progress with the coordinator
• Discuss problems/concerns with the coordinator
Please note: All prospective tutors participate in an extensive interview/screening process, must submit a criminal record check and those selected will receive initial and ongoing training in working with adult learners and particular topic areas. Initial training takes between 15-20 hours depending on previous experience.