Do you want to volunteer?
Volunteering is a fundamental act of citizenship and philanthropy in our society. It is offering time, energy, and skill of one’s own free will. Volunteers impact virtually every aspect of society including health, education, social services, youth, sports and recreation, culture, the arts and the environment.
- Put down roots if you are a newcomer.
- Make good use of your spare time.
- Learn new skills, meet new friends and make a difference.
- Gain a sense of satisfaction that comes with providing a service in your community.
- Help solve community issues.
- Expand your resume and acquire new skills.
- Take advantage of opportunities to get to know your neighbors.
- Improve your self-confidence.
- Choose the area where you feel you can make the biggest difference.
Volunteer Cowichan is committed to assisting individuals find volunteer opportunities that correspond to their needs and interests.
Our Definition of Volunteering
In this era of globalization and continuous change, the world is becoming smaller, more interdependent, and more complex. Volunteering – either through individual or group action – is a way in which:
- Human values of community, caring, and serving can be sustained and strengthened;
- Individuals can exercise their rights and responsibilities as members of communities, while learning and growing throughout their lives, realizing their full human potential;
- And, connections can be made across differences that push us apart so that we can live together in healthy, sustainable communities, working together to provide innovative solutions to our shared challenges and to shape our collective destinies.